Director of Finance and Operations
Director of Finance and Operations at Tenacre Country Day School
Full-Time Exempt Position; reports to Head of School
At Tenacre, students and staff make a commitment to each other to work hard, to find joy, and to be kind. We strive to nurture and challenge each child, every day, and we endeavor to be a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and just school where all members of the community are celebrated. Through small, flexible groupings, we get to know each child’s strengths and growing edges, and we design lessons and activities across the curriculum to support positive learning outcomes. All of our students experience broad curricular offerings including science, Spanish, art, music, P.E., technology, and library in addition to their core homeroom experiences. Homeroom teachers work in close partnership as a grade-level team to coordinate curriculum and plan lessons. Collaboration and professional development across the staff fosters a passion for teaching. Dedicated to the elementary years, Tenacre is a vibrant school full of the energy and excitement of young children learning.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in finance or accounting preferred or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Experience in senior finance and administrative positions preferred
- Knowledge of business office practices and procedures, budgeting, cash management, accounts payable and receivable, employee benefits required
- Knowledge of excel and accounting software
- Ability to communicate articulately and effectively with a wide variety of people
- Familiarity with legal documents and contracts is preferred
- Familiarity with an elementary school setting is beneficial
- Prepare operating Budget for submission to and approval by the Board of Trustees; manage the budget in conjunction with the Assistant Director of Finance/Controller.
- Work collaboratively with the Head of School and Director of Enrollment on financial aid awards.
- Coordinate the annual audit and filing of annual tax returns and subsequent forms including but not limited to 5500’s/990 and implement any resulting audit recommendations.
- Review the school’s financial position, including the endowment and building reserve funds (PPRRSM), and prepare periodic financial reports for the school’s administration and Finance Committee
- Oversee risk management issues including insurance, emergency management plan, liability and safety concerns as well as compliance with local, state, and federal regulations applying to school and summer programs.
- Coordinate the school's Human Resource function in conjunction with the Director of Human Resources &
- Administration, by managing salaries and benefit programs, writing policies and job descriptions, interacting with personnel regarding all aspects of employment and benefits implementation, including the annual update of the Faculty and Staff Handbook.
- Oversee the financial and operational functions of Tenacre’s MidDay, After-School, and Summer programs.
- Oversee the School’s Director of Facilities and the management of physical plant and grounds, including custodial care, cleaning, maintenance, safety, and compliance with regulations, including preparation of and maintenance of a facilities report.
- Oversee the food service operation at the School through an independent food service contractor.
- Negotiate key contracts and expense agreements with vendors, including, but not limited to, insurance contracts, facilities maintenance contracts, staff benefit programs and auxiliary program agreements.
- Perform related work as required.
Tenacre seeks and welcomes candidates who will add to our community’s diversity in all ways, including but not limited to racial, ethnic, religious, gender, ability, socio-economic, and LGBTQIA identity.
Head of School
Tenacre Country Day School
78 Benvenue Street
Wellesley, MA 02482